Founder of the hugely popular Stronghorn Fitness, Jess Martin shares a ton of useful advice and stories in this episode of Carter Physiotherapy’s Active Austin Podcast. We chat about everything from growing a fitness community in Austin to the nutrition and workouts that keep him looking the way he does … including his favorite “least un-healthy” social beverage.
In this interview, Jess Martin discusses these topics related to health and his fitness community:
- How his fast business growth was almost too fast for it’s own good
- Expanding from humble beginnings (4 people in their first camp!) to 9 trainers, 6 locations, 2 fitness centers downtown, yoga, run groups, etc.
- Why they continue to offer more classes and fitness options all the time, at one price
- How they coordinate and partner with In Sweat We Trust to provide events, races, fundraising, and community building
- His favorite fitness contests and activities that he’s done
- The diabolical Kettlebell Burpee Hell (1.0, 2.0, and 3.0)
- Which diet he prefers to keep the body running optimally
- Why he focuses on coaching, motivation, and form during classes and boot camps instead of working out himself
- What he does to stay fit and feel his best
- An approach for drinking socially to “drink healthy”
- His biggest tip to get (and stay) on track to be healthy
- How he works with exercise newbies
- What he means when he says, “Earn your shower.”